Sunday, October 9, 2016

Don't set limit nofile to unlimited

After I set nofile to unlimited in /etc/security/limits.d/90-nproc.conf like this,
*          hard    nproc     unlimited
*          hard    nofile    unlimited

*          soft    nproc     unlimited
*          soft    nofile    unlimited
I could not boot into Gnome on my VM running CentOS 6.8 any more. Even I could switch to a terminal using ctrl-alt-F2, I seemed not be able to log in. I reboot the VM using a live-cd ISO. Then mount the file system, after setting to 32K as below, reboot it, the problem was fixed.
*          -    nproc     unlimited
*          -    nofile    32768
Notes:
# find out the logical volume of the hard drive
fdisk -l

# mount the logical volume
mkdir /mnt/hd
mount /dev/mapper/Volume-lv_root /mnt/hd
vi /mnt/hd/etc/security/limits.d/90-nproc.conf

No comments:

Post a Comment